What is Spiritual Direction or Accompaniment?
The ministry of spiritual direction or spiritual accompaniment involves walking with someone on their spiritual journey, and supporting them as they try to follow the lead of God in their lives. The Spiritual Director or Companion is someone who:
- listens with sensitivity and compassion
- fosters a contemplative atmosphere of trust and safety
- is nonjudgmental in approach
- respects confidentiality
- respects the freedom of others to make choices for themselves
- stays with and supports the person through struggles and difficulties.
The spiritual director or companion is someone who walks with another person on their spiritual journey.
In the process of sharing with another in spiritual direction, we become more aware of the presence of God in our daily lives and inner experience. We are encouraged to respond to God’s personal invitation with openness and trust.
How will I know if I am ready for spiritual direction or accompaniment?
Spiritual direction or spiritual accompaniment requires
- openness and honesty as well as a desire to grow in self awareness,
- faith that the Spirit of God is at work in our lives,
- a desire to discover how one is being led by that Spirit.
Spiritual Direction or Spiritual Accompaniment is a ministry within the Church. Those exercising this ministry are persons who have received specific training and formation and have been affirmed as having the necessary gifts for this calling.